Code Historic Rogers Walking Tour
116 S. First Street
|This historic building and its
contents are without a doubt the best preserved in
Rogers. For many years this was considered the show
place of Rogers. It was designed by A.O. Clarke and
built for J.E. Applegate as a new home for his drug
store. All of the fixtures in the store today are
original. They are solid mahogany and originally
cost $2,192. Local craftsman John Myler laid the
original tile floor. The original marble soda
fountain was made in Boston.
J.E. Applegate’s son, Charles, and grandson, John,
both became pharmacists and later owned the store.
In 1964 John Applegate sold the business but not the
building to John Lewis, who operated the Lewis Drug
Store there for a number of years. In 1986, the
building was bought and opened as Poor Richard’s
Gift and Confectionery. It closed in 2005, and the
building more recently became home to The Rabbit’s
Below: A busy Saturday on South First Street, 1934. Photo
courtesy of Sam Wood, Gary Townzen’s Rogers Historical Calendar,
The Applegate Drugstore about 1910, courtesy of John Applegate.
Return to Walking Tour