Code Historic Rogers Walking Tour
122 and 124 S. First
building was known as the largest and
best business house in Rogers when it
was built in 1896. A.J. Burnham had a
hardware store on the first floor. In
the early 1900ís, the building also
housed the post office.
In 1905, the First National Bank opened
with a fireproof vault, new woodwork and
furniture, and golden oak and bronze
used throughout to make a very pleasing
appearance. Upstairs was the home of
many physicians, realtors, and
accountants. In the mid 1900s the
upstairs was a rooming house.
In 1939, Martinís Liquor Store was
located in 124 W. Walnut, followed by
Croxdale and Sons IGA Grocery in the
1940s and 1950s. From 1935 until the
1950s, 122 W. Walnut was the home of the
City Meat Market. Children knew there
was always a free piece of bubble gum
available from owners Otis or Red
The Burnham Block about 1910, courtesy of the
Rogers Historical Museum.
Below: Grand opening of
Croxdaleís Grocery in the 1940s, courtesy of Tom
Jones and Gary Townzen.
Return to Walking Tour