Code Historic Rogers Walking Tour
206 W. Walnut
In 1909 John Myler, a brickmason,
built a brick building at this location for Charles
W. Juhre. It was leased to J.C. McSpadden who
operated the McSpadden Grocery Store. The grocery
store was bought in 1925 by a larger chain and was
called the Quality Grocery Store until 1929. The
manager was Oscar Juhre.
By 1943, this was the location of the Rogers
Theater. The theater had a seating capacity of over
400, and the movies were 20 cents for adults and 10
cents for children. It operated in competition with
the Victory Theater, which was located around the
corner. In 1961-1962 Clarence Cagle had his House of
Music store here. From 1964-1968, Dean and Doye Bull
owned and operated the McDonald’s Ready- to- Wear.
After a series of short-lived
businesses and vacancies, Barry and Brenda Hester
bought the building in 1994 and renovated it into
the beautiful home of Golden’s Designer Jewelry and
Gun Engraving. Barry Golden was the first native
Arkansan to become a Certified Master Bench Jeweler
by Jewelers of America.
The Juhre Block and the Juhre Building to its west
in 1920, courtesy of Barry Golden Hester.
Return to Walking Tour