Code Historic Rogers Walking Tour
121 West Poplar
This beautiful, majestic
structure is by far the most imposing building
in downtown Rogers. This five-story hotel was
built in 1928 and can be seen from miles away.
When first built, in was named the Lane Hotel
for Little Rock owner S.A. Lane, and was
advertised as the first fireproof building in
Arkansas. John Parks Almand designed the Spanish
Colonial style building, which cost $150,000 in
Some of the occupants who have stayed at the
Lane included aviator Amelia Earhart, boxer Jack
Dempsey, and actor Errol Flynn. In 1935 Earl
Harris of the Harris Bakery bought the building
and changed the name to the Harris Hotel, which
was known as the ‘Palace of the Ozarks’. The
Orchard Room was added to the back of the hotel
around 1939. From 1948 to 1965 it was the Hotel
From 1967 until 1977 it was a retirement home
for the Defenders of the Christian Faith. It
continued as a retirement home under new
management as the Rogers Townhouse until 1999
when it became the Peachtree at the Lane
assisted living facility.
The Lane Hotel in the early 1930s, courtesy of
Rogers Historical Museum.
Below: Actor Tyrone
Power and other cast members of the 1939 film Jesse
James stayed at the Lane Hotel while filming scenes
in Northwest Arkansas and Southwest Missouri,
courtesy of the Morning News.
Return to Walking Tour