Code Historic Rogers Walking Tour
224 South Second
Rogersí first church was built on
this site about 1881. It was the Congregational
Church sponsored by Mary Rogers, wife of Captain
C. W. Rogers, for whom the
town was named.
R. H. Whitlow founded the Mutual Aid Union
insurance company in 1907, offering affordable
life insurance to the ordinary man. In 1913,
Whitlow with partners John E. Felker and J. W.
Walker bought the property for $4,000. With the
aid of architect A.O. Clarke, they built this
In 1927, R. H. Whitlow sold his interest to his
partners, who reorganized the company and
renamed it Progressive Life Insurance Company.
The Press Publishing Company was located in the
basement from 1920ís through 1966.
By 1966 both companies were gone from the
building. There were several short-lived
business here including Budget Saver in 1978 and
photographer Clifton Eoff in 1985.
The Mutual Aid Building in the 1910s, courtesy of
the Rogers Historical Museum.
Return to Walking Tour