Email The City of Rogers

Go to RogersArkansas.com Home Page
Rogers Weather    Wednesday, April 23, 2014

» Visitor Information » Expansion Plans » Exhibits » Programs » Education » Collections » Donate an Object » Research Library » Museum Shop » FAQs » Home

Rogers Historical Museum  

QR Code Historic Rogers Walking Tour

Stroud Building
1899
114-116 W. Walnut

In 1898, H.L. Stroud had the timber cleared away and built this building, which was the home of the H.L. Stroud Mercantile Company for 95 years until 1993. In the early days, Stroudís made many innovations in the department store business; they hired the first saleslady in Rogers, Miss Allie Dodge. She was so successful that they soon hired more ladies including Betty Blake, the future Mrs. Will Rogers.

In 1949, A.B. and H.L. Stroud retired and sold the firm to Harold Wardlaw, who had worked at the store since 1925. Wardlaw was president with Lawrence, Gene, and Ray Harris as co-owners. The Harris brothers also owned the American National Bank, now Arvest Bank-Rogers.

The upstairs (114 Ĺ-116 Ĺ) has been the home of doctors, lawyers, and insurance companies. But probably the most famous tenant was the firm of Mathews & Clarke, architects. A.O. Clarke came to Rogers in 1904 and designed many buildings in Rogers, Monte Ne, and all of Northwest Arkansas.

In 1992 DJís Hallmark card and gift shop was at home here. In April 2004 the Benchmark Group, an architectural and engineering firm, leased and renovated the first floor.
 
The Stroud Building in 2006, courtesy of James Hales.

Below: Stroudís interior in 1956. Courtesy of Bill and Betty Crum.

 

.
Return to Walking Tour Homepage
 

About the MuseumExhibits  |  Programs  |  Education  |  Get Involved  | Have Fun |  Contact UsHome