Email The City of Rogers

Go to RogersArkansas.com Home Page
Rogers Weather    Friday, April 18, 2014

» Visitor Information » Expansion Plans » Exhibits » Programs » Education » Collections » Donate an Object » Research Library » Museum Shop » FAQs » Home

Rogers Historical Museum  


Photo of the Month

Central Methodist Episcopal Church
By Jennifer Sweet, Collections Assistant

In 1881, not long after the railroad came through and Rogers was officially established, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized, Members met in the old Osborne Hall on North First Street. The first church building was a frame building built in 1882 on North Second Street. The church moved again in 1889 to a brick building on the corner of Second and Cherry Streets.

In February 1907, the Official Board of the church voted unanimously to build a new church. Property at the corner of Third and Elm Streets was purchased from Hugh Miller at a cost of $2200. The building was designed by architect A.O. Clarke in the neoclassical style popular at the time. It featured columns at the entranceway, Romanesque arches and a domed ceiling in the sanctuary. The building of the church cost $13,000. The new church was called Central Methodist Episcopal Church.

The church also featured a steeple and stained glass windows. The windows were memorials, which were designed and installed by Thomas E. Gaytee. They were made in the Studio of Ford Bros. Glass Co. in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The windows can still be seen in the church today. The original steeple was destroyed by lightning in 1911. It was not replaced until 1997.

In 1940, a fire started in the furnace room at the church. The basement filled with water, which froze hard enough for children to skate. The stained glass windows escaped damage thanks to the efforts of many people who came to help fight the fire. Repairs to the building would be finished in 1941 and cost $11,619.02.

This church was not the only one designed by A.O. Clarke. He designed five churches in Rogers including First Methodist Episcopal Church, which stood at the corner of Second and Chestnut. This building was very similar to Central Methodist Episcopal and was also completed in 1908. The churches merged in 1937 and used the Central United Methodist church building. The First Methodist Episcopal Church building was torn down in 1970.

The name of the church changed to Central United Methodist Church in 1968 when the Methodist church merged internationally with the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1995, Central United Methodist moved to a new building on New Hope Road. A group of church members split off to form First United Methodist Church, which remained in the old building.

Education wings were added to the sides of the building in the 1950s and 1960s, but the original building is still there on the corner. It is the only church designed by A.O. Clarke that is still standing in Rogers.
 

 

More Photos of the Month

People:
Rogers Academy Class of 1896
Applegate Family
Bingham, George H.
John Black and Hugh “Tater” Black
Blackburn, J.A.C.
Blaylock, Sarah
Carter, C. Jimmie
Clarke, A.O.
Curry, Dr. William Jasper
Decker, Charles
Felker, William R.
Ford, Edsel
Funk, Erwin
Harvey, Coin
Hawkins, Harold and Frank Jr.
Hill, Fred
Jacobs, Thomas
Keck, Jack
Key, Vera
Kirksey, Birch
Lingle, Greer
Lockhart, Tracy
McNeil, Tom
Means, Joe
Morgan, Tom
Morsani, Al
Myler, John
The Sagers
Sikes, J. Wade

J.L. Shinpaugh, Rogers City Marshal
Steele, John Bell and Mary Van Winkle
Thaden, Louise
Rice, Dr. Rufus S.
Rogers, Betty Blake
Rogers, C.W.
Rogers Dough Boys
Rogers, Will

Tribble, Letsie
Truman Boling, Master Builder

Vick Will

Places:
Beaver Dam
Beaver Lake
Butterfield Trail
Camp Joyzelle
Confederate Monument
Coin Harvey’s Spring Lake and Falls
Lake Atalanta
Monte Ne
Old Highway 12 Bridge
Park Springs Park
War Eagle
The Amphitheater at Monte Ne
Silica Mining
Frisco Tunnel at Winslow
Wonderland Cave in Bella Vista
The Ozark Bluff Dwellers
Fisherman's Camp
Kruse's Gold Mine
Highway 71
Hanging Tree

Businesses:

The Apple Industry
Callahan's Station
Cattle Ranching
Coca-Cola Bottling Company
Daisy Manufacturing
Decker Motor Co.
Dyke Lumber Co.
Hailey Motor Co.
House of Webster
McNeil Chevrolet
Munsingwear
Poultry Industry
Pressing Sorghum Cane
Rogers Champion
Rogers Hardware Co.
Rogers Transfer & Storage
Suzie-Q Malt Shop
Wal-Mart

Wendt-Sonis

Schools:
Rogers Academy
Rogers High School
Sunnyside Elementary School

Buildings:
The Applegate house
112 South First Street
Bank Of Rogers Building
Benton County Jail
B.F. Sikes Log Cabin
Central Methodist Episcopal Church
J.B. Steele House, 303 South First Street
Juhre Building (1894)
Golden Rule Building (circa 1894)
Lane Hotel
Love's Sanitarium
Mutual Aid Union Building
Palace of the Ozarks
Rogers City Hall
Rogers City Jail
Rogers Milling Company
Rogers Opera House
Rogers Post Office
Rogers Wholesale Grocery Company
The Key Wing
The Stroud Building (1899)
The Victory Theater
James and Sally McDaniel Home

The Stroud Home
The Tribble House
The Rocky Branch School

Organizations:
206th C.A. A.A
Home Demonstration Club
Rogers First Elks Lodge
Rogers Garden Club
Women's Study Club/Mas Luz Club
Benton County Possum Hunters
Rogers High School Football Team 1921
Rogers High School Marching Band 1942
936th Field Artillery Battalion in the Korean War
1960's Rogers High School Spirit
Arkansas State Guard in WWII

Events:

Apple Blossom Festivals
Benton County Fair
Bolin Murder Inquest 
Ozark Golden Jubilee
Rogers Centennial Posse
Rogers Diamond Jubilee (1956)
Santa's Rocket Sleigh
Sledriding
The Arrival of Santa Claus (1945)
The Brightwater Train Wreck (1907)
The Great Car Skate on Lake Atalanta (1940)
Thanksgiving (1904)
The Last Reunion of Pea Ridge Veterans

Other:

Baseball
Cars
Chemical Engine
Christmas Memories
Frisco Railroad
Halloween
Mining in Northwest Arkansas
Natural Resources
Rogers' Congregational Church
Rogers Fire Department
Rogers Police Cars
St. Mary's Hospital
Tobacco and Benton County
Still Busting near Bentonville
Roadwork
John Boat
Quilts
Tall Tree Tales

Civil Defense in the 1960's
Early Cars
Rogers Yuletide
Brick Streets
Rural Road Work

 


 

About the MuseumExhibits  |  Programs  |  Education  |  Get Involved  | Have Fun |  Contact UsHome